Saturday, March 31, 2012

MORE GAMES


A recent comment from an adult reader: I just read your blog and I would NOT read book three of the trilogy, if I were you. It is very disturbing and I think you would hate it. So, I personally do NOT think you should read it. It bothered me a lot and was not pleasant. Just let your granddaughter tell you about it.

Makes me wonder what young children and young adults are thinking and feeling when they read and see the images of childen killing each other? Is this entertainment for them? Are some adults being too protective, or have  video games conditioned the child’s emotional responses?

Surprisingly, for me, there are some video goodies for the older children.  Maria Montessori, I’m sure, would not recommend video games for the young child under five whose absorbent mind is still active, creating his world from all the beautiful sights and words around him. Who needs such images in their dreams and developing consciousness?

Research by Douglas Gentile, Ph.D, reveals that video games can have both positive and negative consequences on our brains besides being entertaining.  I’m not sure playing Wii tennis with my grandsons influenced my brain or increased my skills but it was a relational and fun activity and it possibly improved my periphery vision. Studies of social games showed that they can be beneficial; but games with violent content tested harmful, encouraging players to act out what they played in real life.

For me, the question is, what is the child missing or failing to notice as their fingers click away, their eyes absorbed on the screen or gadget in their hands? Is he or she in denial of the joy of natural life around them or the opportunities for work or caring for another in their environment? Have they made their bed?
        (comment below or email: connie@montessoritheory.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment